Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Run Down

Enroll in college or move out, was the ultimatum given to me directly following my senior year of high school. So, I enrolled part-time at the local junior college. I received decent grades, but was unfocused and more interested in boys, cars, clubs, and did I mention boys? I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up, and thought pursuing a higher education while I was so unsure was a waste of time. I quickly decided to drop out of junior college to devote more time to what really held my interests. Silly, I know.


Fast forward five years, I grew up. Well, mostly :) With some very difficult life experiences under my belt, I realized that there was nothing more I wanted to do with my life than to help people as a doctor of medicine. For all of the wrong reasons I was very discouraged in the beginning. I felt I was way too old to just up and decide I wanted to be a doctor. I thought ALL doctors knew they wanted to be one by the age of say, ten. I felt I was too old to begin the process that leads to what a lot of people are completing at my age, medical school. Just the thought of sitting in a community college with eighteen year olds embarrassed me. I guess what I felt was shame, for wasting so many years on bullshit.


After thinking about it, talking about it, doing a bit of research, and thinking about it some more, I proudly decided I wasn't too old to be whatever it is I want to be in life! I enrolled in college once again almost a year ago and am in for the long haul, and willing to overcome any obstacles that appear in my path to become a damn good doctor! 


This blog will be my outlet. The playfully chronicled journey of my excursion to and through medical school, and the occasional hitch hikers that threaten my ultimate success: hesitation, uncertainty, negativeness, self-doubt, second guessing, overconfidence, etc. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment